Do I need an hmo license if let out 3 storey house on joint tenancy with 1 couple and 3 of their friends?


New Member
I have a 3 storey house and have a group of friends consisting of 1 couple and 3 others ,does the property need to be licensed as a HMO to let out on a joint tenancy?


Jeffrey Shaw

Staff member
SHELTER indicates that it's an HMO if three or more unrelated people live there as at least two separate households – for example, three single people with one room each, or two couples with one room per couple- and they share basic amenities such as a kitchen or bathroom.

Best to check with your Local Housing Authority, esp. as some locations have (extra) compulsory landlord-licensing requirements irrespective of the type of property.