landlord forms software free landlord forms software

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

Do landlords really need an EPC?

Ever since the 1st of October 2008 any landlord that markets an investment property for letting needs an Energy Performamce Certificate.  Otherwise they risk a £200 fine from the Local Trading Standards Officer.

An Energy Performance Certificate is broadly similar to the labels provided with domestic appliances such as fridges and washing machines.  They provide a rating of how energy efficient a building is by giving it a rating between A & G, where A is very inefficient.  The idea being that tenants can use them to make informed decisions on which property to rent based partly on their likely fuel efficiency.  Here is a little update on the Energy Performance Certificate.

When do landlords need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

The Energy Performamce Certificate and recommendation report must be made available free of charge by the landlord to any prospective tenant at the earliest opportunity.  The government defines these “opportunities” as being when

“ any written information about the building is provided in response to a request for information received from the prospective tenant”


“when a viewing is conducted”

If neither of the above takes place then the EPC must be produced before the tenancy agreement is signed.

Where do landlords get an Energy Performance Certificate?

Energy Performamce Certificates are available from one of the approximately 7000 qualified domestic energy assessors (DEA’s) that have been recruited to handle the work.

The Government estimates they should cost around £100 but in reallity you can probably get one for around £50.

If a landlord searches the Internet they will be quoted prices over and under £100.  Some of the low cost Energy Performance Certificate on further inspection are not quite as attractive as they first appear.  With many headline rates excluding VAT. Others offer variable rates for different sized properties and needless to say the low price only applies to a one bed property.

Property Hawk has accessed various EPC providers for value for money and service.  We have decided to partner with EPC Choice and are now able to offer EPCs nationally at the simple flat rate of £80 for any size residential property and with all taxes included.

EPC Choice may not be the absolute cheapest, some landlord associations are offering them for less to their members but landlords will then have to fork out the £70 or so to join; however they offer quality service and simplicity.

The good news for landlords is that once done the EPC lasts for 10 years. With any luck Brexit could mean the end of the EPC and it may be the first bit of regulation to be jettisoned in a bonfire of European red tape.  There has been in the past a pettion for EPCS to be scrapped set up on the Parliament website.

EPC – Questions & Answers (Q & A)

What is an EPC?

An EPC tells you how energy efficient your property is on a scale of A-G with A being the most efficient. The certificate also tells you on a scale of A-G about the impact the property has on the environment. The EPC will make recommendations about how a property’s energy efficiency can be improved, and will show the potential rating is these works are carried out. The average property in the UK is rated D-E.

What is the benefit to me, the Landlord?

For the first time prospective tenants will be able to compare directly the energy efficiency of properties they are considering renting. Higher rated properties will be considered more desirable on the basis that they will be cheaper to run – Higher Rating=Higher Rents & Less Voids.

Where do professional landlords go for their EPC?

My current tenant has 9 months remaining on the contract, do I need an EPC now?

If you have an existing tenant you will not be required to obtain an EPC until your current tenant leaves and the property is ready to be marketed.

Landlords who consider obtaining the EPC ahead of the deadline in order to avoid any potential delays should the property become vacant earlier are able to offer the unique preEPC© whereby your EPC survey can be undertaken now but the lodgment of the certificate can be delayed until the property is next marketed. The landlord then benefits from the maximum 10 year validity of the EPC and also has the opportunity to undertake any of the recommended improvements.

How long is an EPC valid for?

An EPC is valid for 10 years once lodged on the Governments national database . The exception to this is when the EPC is to be included within a Home Information Pack in which case it would need to have been undertaken no later than 12 months prior.

What does the survey involve and how long does it take?

During the survey the DEA collects data about the size of the property, the heating& hot water system, internal or external insulation, glazing and presence of any existing energy saving items. The survey can usually be completed in around 30 minutes and the Landlord need not be present, although may be required to answer certain questions about the property at a later stage.

How do I obtain an EPC and what is the cost?

EPCs can only be produced by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA). The DEA must be a member of an accreditation scheme approved by the Government. It is estimated that the cost of an EPC will be around £50. Visit to order your EPC.

My EPC has recommended that I install double glazing, do I have to do this?

Most EPC reports will include at least one recommendation on how to improve your properties rating, you are under no obligation to implement the recommendation although by doing so you may be improving the desirability of your property to prospective tenants.

If I improve my property, will I need a new EPC?

If you undertake any of the recommendations contain in your EPC, it is likely that the rating of your property would have improved. A new EPC should be obtained, although this may not require a further inspection if you are able to provide sufficient information about the improvement works to your Energy Assessor.

What is the penalty for not obtaining an EPC?

The fine for non-compliance is £200. If you are fined, you must still obtain an EPC or risk further fines of £200.

Can I charge the tenant for the EPC?

No. All costs must be covered by the Landlord, but remember to ensure you offset it as an expense against your rental income for tax purposes.

I am renting my property out as 5 rooms and the tenants share the kitchen and bathroom? How many EPCs will I need to obtain?

In this case you will need to provide a single EPC which relates to the whole building which must then be provided to the tenant of each individual room. The trigger for obtaining the EPC will be when the first room is marketed to let after the 1st October deadline.

We have converted our building into three self contained flats all with separate heating systems. Do I need 1 or 3 EPCs?

Any part of a building which is self contained and is being offered to rent will require an EPC, in this case 3 EPCs would be required.

Will the EPC need to be displayed in the property?

This is not a requirement, but the EPC must be made available to the prospective tenant at the earliest opportunity.

Either when the tenant requests any written information about the property such as letting particulars, or when the viewing is conducted, or before entering into the contract. The landlords retains some discretion in providing the EPC if they believe there is little likelihood of the tenant renting the property.

What financial assistance is available to me as a Landlord?

There are a number of schemes available:

The Landlords Energy Saving Allowance (LESA) was available up to 2015 but has now ended.

The LESA allows both private and corporate landlords to claim back up to £1500 per property for the installation of energy saving measures, including loft, cavity wall & floor insulation, upgraded heating systems and draft proofing.

To claim the relief you must have had the expenditure as a deduction in your self assessment tax return. For more information you should visit

Warm Front

Warm Front is a government-funded scheme which provides grants for heating and insulation improvements to make homes warmer, healthier and more energy-efficient. Grants are for people who are on certain benefits and own their home or rent it from a private landlord.

If you are a landlord and your tenants are on certain benefits, grants of up to £2700 are available. The landlord does not have to make any financial contribution, just give consent for the works to be undertaken. The tenant is responsible for applying for the grant, which will then involve a visit from a Warm Front assessor to suggest what improvements should be made.

Your tenants can claim a grant if they are on certain benefits and they have a disability; or have a child under 16 or are pregnant and have a maternity certificate MAT B1; or are 60 and over. Further information can be obtained from or by calling Freephone 0800 316 2814. This scheme is only available for households in England.

Local Authority based grants and benefits

Local authorities across the UK offer a wide range of grants and financial assistance to tenants and landlords alike, but the levels of assistance vary from council to council. Landlords are advised to contact their local council who can put them in touch with their local Energy Efficiency Advice Centre or alternatively contact the Energy Saving Trust –

Here is some more stuff about EPC and landlords and energy related legislation:

What does Property Hawk think of EPCs?

Government guides on Energy Performance Certificates

Landlords and the new enerty regulations

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Landlord Bible Chapters

Forms for Letting Property

Finance and Tax on Rental Property

Rental Property Regulations

Investing in BTL Property

Managing Rental Property

Letting Rental Property

Legislation of Letting Property

landlord insurance quote alan boswell group

Landlord Forms

Free Tenancy Agreements


Landlord Software

Landlord Software


Find New Tenants
Calculate Landlord Tax