The upper tribunal (Lands Chamber)
The Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) is the successor to the Lands Tribunal and is an independent and specialist judicial body. The Transfer Order transferred the Lands Tribunal into the Lands Chamber of the Upper Tribunal. The Tribunal consists of a President, who is the judicial head, and legal and surveyor members. The offices and permanent courtrooms are in London. When necessary hearings can be arranged anywhere in England and Wales subject to the availability of courtrooms. There are separate Land Tribunals for Scotland and for Northern Ireland
The Tribunal was established by the Lands Tribunal Act 1949 to determine questions of disputed compensation arising out of the compulsory acquisition of land; to decide rating appeals; to exercise jurisdiction under section 84 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (discharge and modification of restrictive covenants); and to act as arbitrator on references by consent. Under the 1949 Act, other jurisdictions may be added and a number have been since the Tribunal came into existence on 1 January 1950. The Tribunal’s jurisdiction is exercised in England and Wales.
The Tribunal is a court of law, and appeal from its decisions lies to the Court of Appeal. Cases are usually heard by a single member, but they may be heard by two members (where substantial issues of both law and valuation arise, a lawyer and a valuer) or, in exceptional cases, by three members. The Tribunal has hearing rooms in London, but sits wherever in the country the proper disposal of the case requires. Tribunal decisions are given in writing.
The Lands Tribunal may be useful to landlords in settling disputes over land law in respect to the following matters: